Thursday 1 May 2008

Day 191 Hue (Citadel, Canary Cages and Deserted Airport))

Today I walked to the outskirts of Hue to see the old walled city. On the way I marvelled at the canary cages hanging from trees. I did not require a canary but the shirt looked ok.

I liked the elephant at the Citadel.

On the way back as it was the day Vietnam celebrated reunification in 1974 there were a lot of street sellers with war memorabilia. I was a bit concerned to see American dog tags amongst it. One tag is supposed to stay with the body and the other sent to the American government. Hopefully these were fakes but if they were then very good ones.

The hotel insisted I go to Hue "International" (the word used in its broadest sense) airport early for my flight to Hanoi. I was faced with a long wait, subjected to Vietnam's answer to Rhianna (without the umbrella), tortourous plastic seats and a diet of Ritz biscuits and peanut m&ms.

No comments: