Wednesday 14 November 2007

Day 24 San Fransisco from Mesquite

Flew to San Fransisco today. Home of the cable car invented by Scotsman Andrew Hallidie in 1873 who witnessed the torture of horses trying to pull heavily laden carts up the steep hills of the City. Well done thought Andrew. Destitute and out of work the horses were never sure after that was it a good or a bad thing Andrew had done?

First things first though decisions were required on what could I carry on my back now the van was to be returned. With a heavy heart I bid farewell to my Wallmart tent, chair and windup lantern. The girls from Eureka Hotel reception on the other hand skipped with glee on receiving the camping gear and indeed a whole new way of life. The great outdoors.
With about an hours drive to Vegas all living hell arrived once the five lane interstate came into view. I felt I was in a scene from a sci-fi movie as large metal objects flashed here and there at warp speed. On missing the turn off for the rental cars I ended up on the other side of Vegas. "Flight to catch! Flight to catch!" repeated through my mind and suming up composure I got there in the end. "Thanks composure"..."No problem Ewen"
Took the skytrain and metro to the city centre. As I reached street level the touts homed in and with no quick escape. I started to get lost walking to the hostel and after several half baked explanations on where to go I popped into a shop called "Difficult to Read Maps ...R Us"
What put me even more off was a local advise "Oooh best watch that area in the evenings." Great I thought its dark, eight pm and I cannot run. Got to the dorm to find it in darkness as one of the roomates had taken an early night. You try making your bed up with fresh sheets on the top bunk in total darkness.

One of those days. Lets wait for daylight to come.

No comments: