Thursday 15 November 2007

Day 25 San Fransisco


First day in San Fransisco felt like being on an "Orienteering for Beginners" course. I just could not get to grips with the place.

Came across the apple store. Look out mobile phone lovers those iphones are heading your way. The store was very futuristic as you would expect but my favourite was the glass rubber combo staircase. For its aesthetics and without being over technical its springy bouncy feeling as your feet hit the treads.
I thankfully happened upon the Geary Theatre who were showing "Rainmaker" by N Richard Nash. Written in the fifties to critical acclaim the play centred on a drout in Arizona and the claims of a Rainmaker who apperaed at a small family farm. The play contrasts between those of us who live our lives out totally in a dream against those who simply refuse to dream.
Ticket bought I headed to see Chinatown before the play commenced at night. I love Sushi and Sushi loves me. Imagine my delight sitting down to my first ever floating Sushi boat restearaunt. I had my first cup of sake too which arrived heated up and very good. I also had Sappore beer which was labelled as "* in the world". I've no idea what the asterx stood for. I guess its what ever you decide yourself. In my case I decided it meant "Cold".
I'm afraid the sushi did not fill me up so I immediately went for a full chinese meal at a place preferred by the locals. How did I know this. Well the place had plenty locals in it and a full page spread of the "IndependatFood Supplement" essentially saying nothing fancy but good portions. Oh and eveyone ....I've found the secret to stop me rushing my food....chopsticks.

On my way back out of Chinatown I got talking to local street entrepreneur Daniel whose knowledge of tribal and biblical history was extensive. Including the Vikings. I asked Daniel where on earth he had learned all his history and he replied from his youth. I said to him normally it is a mispent youth that leads to a life on the streets but his was a story of Vietnam. I cannot corroborate any of this but a good part of me beleived him. It's also only fair from a contextual standpoint to advise that that Daniel was wired to the moon as we spoke.
Onwards to see the play and before curtains up I enjoyed the company of Calafornians "Jack and Diane". I know its from the song and so did they. Diane travelled on her own a few years ago and enjoyed Scotland. She has fond memories of Fort William and also an island where she missed the evening ferry and had a right old party with the locals by the sounds of things.

Following the message from the play i rushed home (as much for personal safety) to dream!

No comments: