Thursday 6 December 2007

Day 45 Waipu Bay NZ (Stormy Beach)

This crazy man (I'm sure Chrissy and Camill would agree with this statement) is "Henry" from Germany. The night before he had told us how on the very shore of the campsite he had hooked a shark which was unstoppable and also a stingray. Henry takes great glee in visiting some of the worlds most dangerous places and tells us his father was a Russian strongman with a vice like handshake. There must be some truth in this when you consider all the gear Henry carrys on his bike. Here is a picture of said equipment folowing his tent flooding last night in the storm.
Purchasing my cooking pans in nearby sleepy town Warksworth after a bagels with cheese and blueberry jam I made my way to Paihu beach on a stony windy road only to be battered by gales and to see only mist.
Thankfully as I reached Waipu campsite next to Bream Bay I waded over the estuary to the beach where to my delight a botle of "Celtic" Ale had been washed ashore. I drained the contents whilst admiring the view went back to pitch the tent at the most immaculate site ever.
In the kitchen I met Katie and Ania from Adelaide who were at a convention and decided to tag a few days sightseeing onto the end. Just as well I did as during our conversation on what to see locally I came across a leaflet to Waipu museum which unfolds tomorrow.
Not before night of thunder and rain where at three am I had to get out of the tent to check the sea was not breaking through the sandbar and racingto the campsite. It was not. Releived I went back to the tent only to liten for when it might!!

No comments: