Sunday 20 April 2008

Day 181 Siam Reap Cambodia (Angkor Watt and Temples)

The third and final day of my visits to the temples I decided I just had to go back to the big fella Angkor Watt as days before I'd been that overawed I'd not taken it all in. THe alarm clock worked today and we set off at a respectable five am. Why so early again well April is the hottest month in Cambodia and by ten am its over forty five degrees.

There are not many petrol stations around and you see plenty of these roadside stands instead. Now there is good recylcing of a Johnnie Walker bottle for you!

At the temple I lit an incense stick for the day, bowed three times, made a wish for good health to everyone and bowed again.

The early light was fantastic and I took a wander around the forested grounds to some of the outer buildings where there was peace perfect peace.


Even if some were more stable than others.


With the sun still in the ascendancy we made our way to a number of other temples after chicken curry for breakfast. In Cambodia they focus on the flavour of the food rather than how hot it is. I just cannot stop eating here!


AFter breakfast I was glad the temples gave a wee acknowlegement to the heavy machinery used in construction. The terrace of elephants.

I'd been using my Cambodian words to much amusement of the locals. One kindly pointed out I was infact saying "No Yes" but they were pleased that I was trying and were keen to find out more about Scotland. They liked that we have four seasons rather than two. I think I asked this farmer "No Yes cows" rather than "Are these your cows".

After returning to Siam Reap I visited the post office to send clothes I'd bought from the traders home. The potmistress had no idea where Scotland was! Just as well Theuor translated.


Then back to the magnificent Siam Reap hostel for a swim before getting the rucksack ready for the journey to Vietnam tomorrow.

No comments: