Sunday 27 April 2008

Day 187 Hoi An (Old District, Tailors and Art)

"Goooooood Morning Vietnam". An early start to catch the plane to the world heritage city of Hoi An.

The hotel receptionist was close to a high score on some computer game when I arrived. I took my seat next to the screen and appluaded after the three million score was surpassed.

The old streets are closed to traffic three times a week and for once I experienced Vietnam without its millions of motos (surely the work of Satan).

Hoi An is renowned for its tailor shops. I hoped I'd picked a good one!

Time to relax in one of the old resteraunts by the river.

Then with my city heritage ticket in hand I went around Hoi An's old district to see various old houses. You just walk in. Here we have one of the few confuscious cups remaining. Confuscious preached everything in moderation (after having been to one to many cheildhs in Sutherland). If you fill his cup past eighty percent the tea simply pours out a hole and your left with nothing!

Hoi An is also developing a reputation for good art galleries in the west part of the old district. I could not resist a few pictures myself and they roll the canvas up and put it in a plastic waste pipe for fear it will crush in the rucksack.

On my way back to the hotel I met this character who was happy to be photographed provided he could adopt the pose of a skater dude..

No comments: