Wednesday 28 November 2007

Day 37 Fiji (Second Day Dive Course)


Pictured above is Edward our professional dive instructor. Today this man saved my life.
This mornings dive got off to bad start as I choked on the salt water departing theboat. Then as I descended I kept having to exhale water from my respirator until at twelve metres it completely filled with water. I gave the out of air hand signal to Edward (crossing our hand across your throat and looking petrified) who instantly passed me his alternate air supply.
We went back up to the boat to establish the diapragm on my respirator was burst. As I sat alne on the boat whilst Edward checked on Phil and Isac who were still below the ocean I listened to my internal dialogue go "Stuff this Ewen" but from somewhere I found the courage to press on and with the benefit of hindsight I'm glad I did !!
The afternoons dive went fine and Phil and I rushed to the sweet shop before catching the bus home. All the sea air and breathing compressed air lends itself to a ferocious appetite.
On reaching the hostel and a hearty dinner mt=y mind turned to studying the diving manual in advance of our written test in two days time. Exams on my trip ... I ask you!!

No comments: