Monday 10 December 2007

Day 49 Huhora to Lake Taupo (Driving Day)


(Sign at Lake Taupo gift shop!)

Two New Zealand lads at the campsite in Hohura told me about the effects of the cyclone in Fiji causing all the rain here in the North so I packed up the car and drove South for seven hours. I stepped out of the car in Taupo and .............it was not raining!

I searched for the campsite listed in the Lonely Planet to be told by a local that it had been closed and sold on for property development. Apparently this is widespread across the country and soon the only place left to pitch your tent will be areas of toxic waste or flood planes. These conditions not desirable sites for the three bedroom semi.

Went round the hostels till I discovered Tikki Lodge with a terrific balcony looking out at the massive lake Taupo formed by one of the biggest volcanic explosions ever. Think forgetting about the tinned steam pudding whilst you watched neighbours.

No comments: