Sunday 16 December 2007

Day 55 Wanganui (Hike to Aramoana Lookout)

I did wonder if the farmers had collected the lamb yesterday so I went back to check whilst on my way to Aramoana Lookout. Glad to say the lamb no longer there and in any case from where I stood further downstream the river was shallow enough to reassure me "Larry" would have made it ashore under his own steam without requiring lessons on the front crawl or butterfly.



Now a two hour trek through the bush to Aramoana lookout where after running the gauntlet I later named "bee highway" (just look at all those flowers) a strange object appeared. Why it turned out to be a toilet, how refined the NZ paths are and the Lookout turned out not bad either although I was not sure what I should be looking out for?





So I got to thinking why they would need a lookout but the next settlement downstream is "Upokongaro" which means lost head. Apparently according to the postie a raiding tribe cut off the local chiefs head and then went and lost it by the river......"Ooops". Maybe thats why they have a lookout for invading tribes. I digress for a moment but two other settlements nearby are "Gentle Annie" and "Kemps Pole" and I happen to have an auntie called Annie Kemp. Annie is gentle and her clan Mackay would not go chopping other clans heads off. Well maybe on a bad day. ......Hi Annie !!



In the afternoon I hopped in the car to the next main centre 70 clicks away called Palmerston North but little to see and do. A little dissapointed I've found an antidote to lift the spirits on such occasions travelling.....a "Rocky Road" ice lolly (marshmallow coated with hundreds and thousands) washed down with ice cold coca cola (which comes in glass bottles here..tastes better).

No comments: