Sunday 13 April 2008

Day 174 Miri (Niah Caves and Flight to Kuching)


Before we headed to the mighty Niah caves today Ian took us all along to a local resteraunt to try the delicious freshly flipped rotis which you dip in spicy sauces. They say you really have not joined in Asia till you start eating spiced food for breakfast. Go on try it...a tastebud sensation first thing in the morning....now where are the chillis for my porridge?

Then the long trek to the mighty Niah caves where locals climb thin timber poles to collect the swallow nests which are used for the delicay "birds nest soup" in Asia. Does anyone realise the nests are made from swallow spit? Does anyone realise how dangerous it is to climb bits of timber hanging from the roof of caves without safety nets?

Exhausted from the long trek, walking in pitch dark through bat inhabited gauano poo pitch blackness the Mackays dropped me off at Miri airport and back into backpackers reality. The flight to Kuching went without event and as I climbed into the top bunk I swear my eyes were shut before my head hit the pillow. It had been a busy and fantastic week with the Mackays in Brunei.

No comments: